The Apostles is a collection of the catecheses Pope Benedict XVI gave during his weekly General Audiences in 2006 and 2007. The talks were given in either St. Peter’s Square or, in less favorable weather, the Paul VI Hall next to St. Peter’s Basilica.
Friday, January 28, 2022
Adult Bible Study
Below are excerpts from a study guide written by Amy Welborn and available for free download here.
Below are some of questions for the session on the apostles Matthew, Philip, Thomas,
Questions for Reflection
1. How does Matthew’s call challenge you in the way you see others?
2. In what aspects of the Church’s life do you see Jesus’ invitation to Matthew, the public sinner, lived out today?
3. What have you, like Matthew, left behind? What do you still cling to? What might help someone leave behind sinful activities in order to follow Jesus?
4. When we invite others to “come and see” today, what aspects of Church life are we inviting them to come and see to encounter Jesus?
5. What role does the sacramental life of the Church play in your “sharing in the life of Jesus” as a disciple?
6. “If we truly want to know the Face of God, all we have to do is to contemplate the Face of Jesus!” (page 99). What do you learn about God when you contemplate the Face of Jesus? What does it mean to be tempted to simply “look into the mirror” instead?
7. What does it mean to you to know that Jesus is recognized by his wounds? Where do you see Jesus wounded?